What the research says...
According to studies, 80% of dogs over eight years old will suffer the devastating effects of osteoarthritis and more than 75% of those will be prescribed an analgesic drug that might cause internal damage.
Compare Our Brand
Just like in humans, significant causes of hip and joint pain include arthritis, trauma, joint instability, bone infections, autoimmune disorders, and old age.
With age, production of glucosamine in the body diminishes, this consequently may lead to:
- Damage of the cartilage
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Joint pain
- Joint stiffness
Osteoarthritis in dogs is a chronic disorder and treatment is geared toward relieving symptoms and improving the quality of life of senior dogs, this can be done through the prescription of steroids, use of a health supplement like glucosamine for dogs and a diet that supports cartilage growth and maintenance, this should happen as soon as you notice signs of arthritis in your dog.
In some cases, canine surgery may be required to address the root cause, some options include Cruciate (Extracapsular Cranial Cruciate Ligament Repair Dog ACL), TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) or TTA (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement).
Glucosamine for Dogs Dosage
How much glucosamine for dogs?
Typically, Licensed Veterinarian doctors prescribe a glucosamine dose of 20 mg/day per pound of body weight, small dogs usually get between 5-25 lbs the treatment is 250-500mg ever 24hrs.
For example, dogs of 30lbs should take about 600mg per day while dogs of 60lbs should take 1,200mg/daily. Remember, your Vet might suggest different doses depending on your dog's specific medical history.
We Found A New Type Of 'Treat' That Dogs Love
Glucosamine for dogs supplements offer the same benefits similar to the one naturally produced in the body, it's usually derived from crab, lobster or shrimp shells and it comes in the form of glucosamine hydrochloride and glucosamine phosphate, its price is usually reasonable. It is dispensed at a suggested dosage rate of 20mg/lb.
Until recently, glucosamine for dogs products were only available in the form of tablets, powder or liquid, all very difficult to get dogs to eat. But Ruff Hero’s innovative glucosamine for dogs comes as soft chewable treats loaded in easy dose, with all nutrients recommended for senior dogs and in dog-approved yummy taste that's beneficial to pets plus a price-quality difficult to beat and great reviews in online marketplaces like Amazon.
Ruff Hero Natural Mobility For Dogs (Soft Chews)
- Reduce inflammation and promote joint health
- Effective pain relief
- Improve mobility
- Powerful glucosamine chondroitin formula that helps repair cartilage
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Boost immune system
- Dog approved taste makes it easy for pet owners to administer
- 74+ Minerals
As Seen On
Glucosamine For Dogs 'Hidden' Benefits
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps relieve pain, swelling, joint stiffness and usually an easy formula for pet owners to administer.
- It helps maintain the structural integrity of the cartilage preventing further damage thus promoting joint health.
- Products with glucosamine chondroitin is a powerful combination that inhibits destructive enzymes in the joint fluid from damaging the cartilage at a good price compared to surgery.
- Glucosamine supplements are also used in dogs after joint surgery to fasten wound healing and scar tissue formation.
Proven Tips To Buy The Most Effective Product
Canine joint support is not only used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, but it is also given to healthy pups looking to remain active longer. Other than price, make sure to check this list before purchasing products:
- Multiple Active Ingredients: It is important to pick the joint support that contains more than two of the recommended additives. Apart from glucosamine, it should also have additional items including MSM, turmeric, and chondroitin sulfate. A combination of three or more of these will have maximum benefits to your pet.
- Check the Number of Active Ingredients: If the amount of active additives is not indicated on the product (in milligrams), it is likely that it contains very low levels that could not substantially help your dog’s joints. Some manufacturers only add minimal quantities of active elements to entice customers to save on price so always check the label to ensure you purchase a product that's beneficial to your pet.
- Purchase Products Made in USA: Due to the availability of other manufacturers outside the USA who produce dog supplements, it is important to check where they’re made prior to any purchase. Some manufacturers only add a minimal amount of active elements to offer lower cost, always read the label. Ensuring that you buy Made in USA products might result beneficial to your pets. If you purchase on Amazon or eBay, make sure the vendor has an email so that you can contact them with questions and don't forget to read reviews.
- Select a Hypoallergenic Product If Your Pets Have Allergies: If your dog has exhibited hypersensitivity or an allergic reaction towards certain items, we recommend that you search for the hypoallergenic option. Although they don’t provide full proof from causing allergies, they are less likely to use active things that may cause hypersensitivity in dogs.
- Every Dog Is Different: Depending on the age and condition of your pet, the effect will be manifested differently. It is advised to start administering³ joint support at the age of 5 and earlier for bigger dogs. If you wait until you see signs of pain and distress on your dog, you might only see results after one or two months. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on your dog's levels of sodium and potassium.
- Taste and Format Matters: It is quite discouraging to purchase the best glucosamine supplement product if your pet doesn't want to eat it. The most common joint support are tablets, liquid, and soft chews; each having its merits and demerits. When it comes to choosing the most palatable, go for the liquids or soft chews as dogs will prefer these mostly. Ruff Hero’s soft chews also come with a range of nutraceuticals and yummy flavor, making it the preferred choice for many dog owners.
What is the suggested chondroitin dosage for dogs?
- If your dog weighs less than 80 lbs, the recommended Chondroitin dose is 900mg daily.
- For dogs over 80 lbs, the usual dosage of Chondroitin is 1,800mg daily.
Your Vet might decide to increase or decrease these amounts depending on the severity of your dog's joint issues and overall health.
What about MSM dosage for dogs?
MSM (Methyl-sulfonyl-methane) is an active ingredient in most joint supplements for dogs, it helps with arthritis and mobility issues or to recovery after surgeries like Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy (TPLO), Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) and other. The recommended dose of MSM for dogs is 50mg to 100mg per 10 pounds of body mass.
Can a dog get too much glucosamine and chondroitin?
Yes, it is possible for a dog to get too much glucosamine and chondroitin, however, since Glucosamine is more a food supplement than a drug, chances of hurting your dog are small, in most cases excess of Glucosamine might cause diarrhea and/or vomiting.
Just be mindful that if the joint supplement given to your dog contains other active ingredients those may be more dangerous when administered in excess.
Few side effects and adverse reactions could occur with administration of glucosamine chondroitin for dogs, keep an eye on your dog whenever you initiate a new treatment, secondary effects might include:
- Allergies especially in pets allergic to shellfish. Plant-based options are however available.
- Increased thirst and urination
- Since it’s sugar-based, it should be administered with care in diabetic patients
- Some pups might get upset stomach or diarrhea, in most cases, this can be avoided by giving the glucosamine chondroitin supplement with a meal, especially the first doses.
- Formulations combined with chondroitin should not be given to animals with blood clotting problems or on blood thinners.
People also ask
Typically, the initial dose of glucosamine is on the high end, once your dog shows improvement, the dose can be reduced and commonly kept for the remainder of the dog's life.
The general consensus is that dogs need 20 mg/day per pound of body weight. For small dogs between 5-25 lbs the treatment is 250-500mg per day.
Yes but make sure it’s only Glucosamine, if your supplement has added ingredients, which is quite possible. then make sure all those ingredients are dog safe before sharing your health supplement with your dog.
Each dog is different and they might respond differently to various glucosamine supplements. Ruff Hero’s proprietary Joint supplement was designed with the safety of your dog in mind as well as to provide the most effective treatment for pain relief and mobility improvement. In fact, Ruff Hero’s supplement has up to 400% more Glucosamine that some of the popular brands, plus organic ingredients and no fillers that may upset your dog’s tummy.
It depends on your dog's breed but generally, mature dogs entering into their senior years would benefit the most from this product. For large breeds, this is typically around 4-5 years and for small breeds around 8-9 years.
Yes, this is a typical response of giving your dog too much Glucosamine too fast. Make sure you start slow and build up to the recommended dose according to your dog’s weight.
All dogs are different and it depends on the severity of the problem, you should expect to see a difference in2-3 months assuming you have been consistent with the right dose.
The best Joint Supplement has not only Glucosamine, but it should also contain Chondroitin and MSM. Other than these ingredients, Ruff Hero’s supplement contains Organic Turmeric and Black Pepper to boost effectiveness and provide faster improvement. Also, make sure the supplement you choose doesn’t contain fillers or things like Canola that may upset your dog’s digestive system.
There have been many studies about this, there is an indication that Glucosamine supplements do help dogs with mobility issues. However, choosing the right joint supplement is critical, make sure it contains appropriate levels of Glucosamine as well as natural ingredients and mobility boosters like Chondroitin and MSM for example.
Glucosamine by itself might not be enough if your dog is already suffering from joint pain, in this case, look for a dog supplement that contains anti-inflammatory and pain-relief ingredients like Turmeric, Black Pepper or Hemp.
If you want to go the raw diet route, then the following will provide your dog with a boost of natural glucosamine: fresh beef trachea, chicken feet, and pork tails. Moreover, any parts that contain a lot of connective tissue and cartilage typically have a high concentration of not only Glucosamine but also Chondroitin.
Also, Turmeric is very popular as a natural option to help dogs with arthritis and joint pain. There are many yummy recipes that you can craft for your pooch using Turmeric.
If your busy schedule doesn't allow time for preparing foods at home, then you may want to consider glucosamine supplements, check out our natural and dog-approved Hip and Joint Supplement.
Jason M. Collins