Significant causes of hip and joint pain include arthritis, trauma, joint instability, bone infections, autoimmune disorders or just old age. Large dog breeds are usually more predisposed to arthritis, but overall it affects all dog breeds, ages, and sizes, this is why supplements are a good idea.
Glucosamine is a sugar produced by the body which helps in the formation of substances called glycosaminoglycan. These are building blocks for cartilage and are essential for its growth and repair.
With age, production of glucosamine in the body diminishes, this consequently leads to damage of the cartilage and occurrence of arthritic changes and, as a result, joint pain, swelling, joint stiffness, and lameness.
Arthritis is a chronic disorder and treatment is geared toward relieving symptoms and improving the quality of life of senior dogs, this can be done through the prescription of steroids, use of dog supplements and a diet that supports cartilage growth and maintenance.
Best Dog Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Reviews
Ruff Hero Glucosamine for Dogs Soft Chews With Chondroitin, MSM, Organic Turmeric and Hemp Seed Meal
By Ruff Hero
Ruff Hero's glucosamine for dogs soft chews are all-natural, full of organic ingredients and contain up to four times more glucosamine than some of the popular brands.
Formulated by dog health experts to deliver maximum results and loaded with 74+ minerals to give your dog the nutrient boost they need to stay active... full review
Nutramax Cosequin DS Plus with MSM Chewable Tablets
By Nutramax Laboratories
Doggie Dailies Glucosamine for Dogs: 225 Soft Chews, Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Hyaluronic Acid & CoQ10, Premium Joint Relief for Dogs Made in the USA
By Doggie Dailies
Rocco & Roxie Glucosamine for Dogs - Hip and Joint Supplement with Chondroitin Plus MSM - Maximum Strength Dog Arthritis Pain Relief Support - Chewable Pet Supplements - 120 Soft Chews Treats
By Rocco & Roxie Supply Co.
A relatively new player, Rocco's Glucosamine Chews are getting great reviews demonstrating that their product is high quality. Many dog owners purchase this joint supplement to treat arthritis in dogs... full review
Liquid Health K-9 Glucosamine Hip and Joint Formula, 32 Ounce
By Liquid Health
Glucosamine popular in food supplements for arthritic dogs offers the same benefits similar to the one produced in the body, derived from crab, lobster or shrimp shells and it comes in the form of glucosamine hydrochloride and glucosamine sulfate. It is dispensed at a suggested dosage rate of 20mg/lb.
Until recently, dog joint supplements were available in the form of tablets, powder or liquid, all very difficult to get dogs to eat. But Ruff Hero’s innovative dog supplements come as a soft chewable treat loaded with all nutrients recommended for senior dogs and in dog-approved yummy taste.
How much glucosamine do you give a dog?
The initial dose given at the beginning of treatment is usually high until there is a marked improvement in the symptoms after which it is reduced and given continuously for the remainder of the dog’s life. Typically, the recommended glucosamine sulfate dose for your dog is 20 mg/day per pound of body weight, for small dogs between 5-25 lbs the treatment is 250-500mg per day. Use our glucosamine dose calculator to see how much your dog needs.
For example, dogs that weight 30lbs should take about 600mg per day while dogs that weight 60lbs should take 1,200mg/day. Remember, your Vet might suggest different doses depending on your dog's specific medical history.
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory agent which helps relieve pain, swelling, and joint stiffness
- This joint supplement for dogs helps maintain the structural integrity of the cartilage preventing further damage.
- Glucosamine chondroitin for dogs is a powerful combination that inhibits destructive enzymes in the joint fluid from damaging the cartilage.
- It’s also used in dogs after joint surgery to fasten wound healing and scar tissue formation
Glucosamine for Dogs supplements are not only for the older dogs with arthritis, but dogs of all ages can also benefit from them. Make sure to check this list before choosing a supplement for your dog:
- Choose a Supplement with Multiple Active Ingredients: For maximum efficacy, it is important to go for the joint supplement that contains more than two of the available ingredients. Apart from glucosamine, your chosen supplement should also include MSM, turmeric, and chondroitin sulfate. A combination of three or more of these will have maximum benefits to your dog. You can find a good variety of supplements at 1800PetMeds.
- Check the Number of Active Ingredients: If the amount of active ingredients is not indicated on the product (in milligrams), it is likely that it contains very low levels that could not substantially help your dog’s joints. Normally, a dog should consume about 20mg of glucosamine per day for every pound of its weight. Manufacturers are adding trivial quantities of active ingredients to their dog supplements to entice customers, while the food can’t have any serious impact on the health of the dog’s joints.
- Purchase Products Made in USA: Due to the availability of other manufacturers outside the USA who produce dog supplements, it is important to check where they’re made prior to any purchase. These other manufacturers offer substandard food with trivial supplement quantities at low prices that entice pet stores. Ensure you buy Made in USA products with high-quality consumable products for your dog.
- Choose a Hypoallergenic for Dogs with Allergies: If your dog has exhibited hypersensitivity or an allergic reaction towards a certain ingredient before, go for the hypoallergenic option. Although they don’t provide full proof from causing allergies, they are less likely to use active ingredients that may cause hypersensitivity in dogs.
- Results are Different for Every Dog: Depending on the age and condition of the dog, the supplement effect will be manifested differently. It is advised to start administering the supplement at the age of 5 and earlier for bigger dogs. In case you wait until you see signs of pain and distress on your dog, the joint supplement may provide relief but after one or two months.
- Taste and Format Matters: It is quite discouraging to purchase the best joint supplement and then have them refuse to eat it. The most commonly available delivery formats for joint supplements are tablet chews, liquid, and soft chews; each having its merits and demerits.
When it comes to choosing the most palatable, go for the liquids or soft chews as dogs will prefer these mostly. Ruff Hero’s soft chews also come with a range of nutraceuticals and yummy flavor, making it the preferred choice for many dog owners.
Our Solution: We Want To Give Your Dog A Chance To Try Our Natural Yet Effective Glucosamine For Dog Chews
Loaded with chondroitin, MSM, organic ingredients and 74+ minerals, our dog joint supplements have proven to help many dogs with joint pain and mobility.
Few side effects and adverse reactions could occur with administration of glucosamine chondroitin for dogs, keep an eye on your dog whenever you initiate a new treatment, secondary effects might include:
- Allergies especially in dogs allergic to shellfish. Plant-based options are however available.
- Increased thirst and urination
- Since it’s sugar-based, it should be administered with care in diabetic dogs
- Some dogs might get upset stomach or diarrhea, in most cases, this can be avoided by giving the glucosamine chondroitin supplement with a meal, especially the first doses.
- Formulations combined with chondroitin should not be given to dogs with blood clotting problems or on blood thinners, e.g., warfarin since it is a blood thinner in itself.
Why wait any longer to do the right thing. Help your dog get started with the best natural supplement for Hip and Joints, click here to learn more.
Although Glucosamine for Dogs Supplements are the fastest way to see results if your dog suffers from arthritis, joint pain or mobility issues, some people also choose to get their dogs on a permanent diet of dog food that contains glucosamine.
Keep in mind that dog foods with Glucosamine and Chondroitin might not be as effective as a Health Supplement with Glucosamine, mainly because our joint supplements are formulated with the right amount of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Turmeric and active ingredients that are hard to find in any dog food.
Our chews have only one purpose, help your dog with arthritis, pain or mobility issues, there are a limited number of ingredients that you can have added to one kibble, typically, the more ingredients, the more diluted the formula is, this is why dog food can never be as good as a joint supplement.
Check out these top-rated dog food:
Raw Foods With Glucosamine?
If you want to go the raw diet route, then the following will provide your dog with a boost of natural glucosamine: fresh beef trachea, chicken feet, and pork tails. Moreover, any parts that contain a lot of connective tissue and cartilage typically have a high concentration of not only Glucosamine but also Chondroitin.
Also, Turmeric is very popular as a natural option to help dogs with arthritis and joint pain. There are many yummy recipes that you can craft for your pooch using Turmeric.
If your busy schedule doesn't allow time for preparing foods at home, then you may want to consider glucosamine supplements, check out our natural and dog-approved Hip and Joint Supplement.
People also ask